Viscosupplementation (Monovisc, Orthovisc)
Viscosupplementation, such as Monovisc or Orthovisc, is the injection of a clear gel-like substance containing hyaluronic acid into the knee. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in the synovial fluid of the knee joint. The injection of hyaluronic acid into the joint is thought to lubricate the cartilage (much like oil lubricates an engine), thereby reducing pain. A single injection of Monovisc can help alleviate OA knee pain for up to 6 months.
These injections usually provide 9-12 months of relief (will vary per patient).
* a portion of hyaluronic acid products may be covered under your private insurance plan. Contact your insurance provider to check if you have coverage
Please call the clinic at 613-714-9449 or fax a referral to 613-714-9456 to book with Dr. Sonam Maghera, or Dr. Keith Morgan for consultation.
- Please rest the area for the next 48 hours.
- It is important to avoid exercising the affected area for 5-7 days post injection.
- Avoid prolonged walking or heavy lifting during this time.
- You may feel stiff and sore following the injection, you can apply ice, take anti-inflammatories or Tylenol as needed for pain control post injection
- Please avoid baths and hot tubs for 24 hours following the procedure.
- Please monitor for signs of infection – swelling, increased pain, redness, fever that lasts for more than 48 hours. This usually presents 7-10 days following the injection and is quite rare. Please contact the clinic or present to the emergency department if off hours.